Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Not Quite Right

Don't you just hate it when you pick some lovely fabric, decide what to make from it and then it just doesn't look right when you're finished?  I'm sure it's partly to do with me substituting fabrics and trying to find a different way to do it - lack of experience probably plays a big part in it too!


Last night I thought I would cut into the fat quarters that I bought the other day from my new favouritest fabric shop and make myself a receipt/voucher wallet (I'd been eyeing this up on http://www.skiptomylou.org/2010/02/16/oilcloth-receipt-wallet/ for a while).  Anyway when I looked at it, I found she had used oilcloth, I thought not a problem I'll use some fusible interfacing to make my fabric a bit stiffer but, as it turns out the oilcloth didn't need hemming or anything so when following the tutorial I was left with raw edges.  I decided a bit of bias binding would do the trick here but, bias binding is not my friend and I haven't figured how to make it go round square corners so this is where a lot of the bits I'm not happy with crept in.








So my mind has been going into overdrive a little since I made it trying to think of a new way of making it so that I don't have raw edges and therefore don't have to do battle with binding.  Well I think I've got an idea now so watch this space and I'll try and get a tutorial up over the weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment